BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

What do bottles and labels look like?

Does anyone happen to know when abouts the back label (that has the lab's name) on gc imps changed from the abstract tribalish phoenix to the newer one? (The front of the label also changed from saying 'perfume oil blend' to the website info. (I'm rather detail oriented, and damn near terminally curious...)

I first got into bpal around mid-2005, and I think they switched to the new imp labels around the same time or within a year from there. I remember not having the older labels in my orders for very long.

I first got into bpal around mid-2005, and I think they switched to the new imp labels around the same time or within a year from there. I remember not having the older labels in my orders for very long.

Y'know, that would make sense; I've got a bunch of them and my first BPAL order (yay email records!) was Nov 05. Thank you - your memory is clearly much better than mine!

8648527250_f7d754f6fd.jpg

Some of the single notes. From left to right: Haitian Vetiver, Eight Petaled Lotus, Evening Stock, King Mandarin, India Ink, French Tobacco, Hungarian Caraway. The label seems to have changed from the large brimstone symbol to a smaller one (French Tobacco & Hungarian Caraway).

8647538099_b593434599.jpg

Ye olde cobalt bottles.

8648637818_ceda76d4fd.jpg

Poor leaky Havisham. :P

Edited by Monday

I just swapped for a bottle of Unseelie in a squat cobalt bottle. The label is just a band of white with the fragrance name in the upper corner and black Phoenix alchemy lab in the bottom. It doesn't have any decoration, but isn't handwritten.

Any ideas on dates?

I just swapped for a bottle of Unseelie in a squat cobalt bottle. The label is just a band of white with the fragrance name in the upper corner and black Phoenix alchemy lab in the bottom. It doesn't have any decoration, but isn't handwritten.

Any ideas on dates?

Does it have a regular-type black plastic lid? If so... I'd say your bottle is from around 2004. Niice find! :smile:

Monday - thanks for posting those pics... the SN bottles are lovely in their simplicity, I think. And I still love the old cobalt bottles, the blue glass just appeals to me so mch more than the brown.

yes, black plastic but without a regulator inside. it leaked a teeny bit so the label got oiled, but it is still full inside.

unfortunately the scent isn't for me, but it is beautiful. I much prefer the cobalt color.

The Feed Me/Fill me has already been posted but here's The Cat and the TAL small batch of Sunlight (and the Bow and Crown of Conquest which has a really cool label for a GC).

321c1dcea6e011e2899a22000a9f4dc8_7.jpg

Edited by sarandipitee

yes, black plastic but without a regulator inside. it leaked a teeny bit so the label got oiled, but it is still full inside.

OK that sounds the same as my little fattie bottle of Absinthe, which as far as I know is from 2004. The label goes almost all the way around the bottle, and has the old-style flying witch on it (sadly, my bottle also leaked a bit):

8655744929_97bdab5a28.jpg

I love the cobalt bottles too! Here's a regular 5ml, a little fattie squat bottle from years ago, and a 10ml for comparison in case anyone's curious:

8655744993_a2a80cf852.jpg

I think the old squat bottles may have come in green glass at some stage? Or am I thinking of a different perfumer?

sarandipitee - thanks for posting that pic! The label on The Cat is cute, and I do love those TAL labels :)

Yes! It's just like the Absinthe bottle. Those are so beautiful, and I'm totally jealous of that antique lace. :lol:

ETA- I was debating on bow and crown for my next order and that label just tipped it, I love labels.

Edited by Caper

Ooh, Caper you have Unseelie in that type of bottle? Niiccee.

Thanks for posting those pics SSDB! I got into bpal in 2009 and I only have one cobalt bottle in my collection. Sadly, it's horrible on me so it's on my swaps page. I'm hoping to collect some since so many of my fav GC blends age so well.

The label seems to have changed from the large brimstone symbol to a smaller one (French Tobacco & Hungarian Caraway).

the larger brimstone labels were printed in house.

I think the old squat bottles may have come in green glass at some stage? Or am I thinking of a different perfumer?

I think once for the yules.

QUOTE(stellans @ Apr 16 2009, 05:33 AM) QUOTE(TwilightEyes @ Apr 16 2009, 06:48 AM) QUOTE(Icekitten @ Apr 16 2009, 04:45 AM) Anyone knows how the Black Lace bottle looks like i'm gonna get a bottle but dont have it now just wanted to see the label ^^

I have a picture in my Flickr BPAL gallery.

It's a little fuzzy -- my camera didn't want to focus on it. *grumble*

Once again, I want to thank TwilightEyes for the wonderful resource she provides with her flickr gallery of BPAL pictures!

icon_redface.gif *looks down, hands behind back, knee bent, scuffing toe in dirt* Aw, shucks.

00000288.gif (And if there are any bottles I am missing that you have, feel free to send to me..... muahahaha! icon_twisted.gif)

Hey - I have a bottle of Black Lace and can't remember where or when I got it. My label looks exactly like the one posted in TwilightEyes' Gallery. Is this definitely a bottle of the original that is aged? I can't figure it out from what is posted here, and I'm not super familiar with Black Lace in general. Thanks!

Hey - I have a bottle of Black Lace and can't remember where or when I got it. My label looks exactly like the one posted in TwilightEyes' Gallery. Is this definitely a bottle of the original that is aged? I can't figure it out from what is posted here, and I'm not super familiar with Black Lace in general. Thanks!

Here is a pic of the original, and the re-release. The original Black Lace had the teal-toned label (on the left) and the re-release has the black/grey one. Hope that helps!

8726465083_f67c1e0727_o.jpg

Did Ambergris have different labels? Mine is the regular SN label but I saw one posted on LJ that had a whale on it. Mine didn't have a whale. :(

Edited by violetblue

Did Ambergris have different labels? Mine is the regular SN label but I saw one posted on LJ that had a whale on it. Mine didn't have a whale. :(

The bottle I ordered from the lab just prior to it coming down has the regular SN label.

I keep seeing 13 listed, but want to make sure I end up getting the one I know worked on me :lol: What colours are on the August 2010 label? I'm digging through the thread, but there are quite a few pages to go through, and someone may answer me faster ;)

N/M ... found the answer, and only 1 page back :lol: Clearly, I was over thinking things

Edited by mermaidsdream

The bottle I ordered from the lab just prior to it coming down has the regular SN label.

Hmm, I ordered it right when it debuted. Weird!!

Hmm, I ordered it right when it debuted. Weird!!

Nope the decantress has enhanced the label herself. :)

any known differences between original Midway and the resurrected version? I have a decant of the original that smells differently than the half bottle if the original I bought, and the decant matches the original description a bit more. any ideas?

any known differences between original Midway and the resurrected version? I have a decant of the original that smells differently than the half bottle if the original I bought, and the decant matches the original description a bit more. any ideas?

I think they're either exactly the same, or very very similar - the original is more aged, obviously, so to me it smells less 'fresh' and the sweetness is more mellow - but the difference is subtle.

The labels are completely different though - if I remember correctly the original had a paper label with a big ferris wheel on it, and the resurrected version looks like this:

8861891956_da0c43fed9_o.jpg

Oh yay!! I knew you would know the answer!

So I have the ferris wheel bottle, which must be the original, but the decant has a hint of night air before it settles into the sweet funnel cake smell. So weird! I love them both but I kind of like my decant a bit better.

I wonder if it is just batch variation or if there was a different oil that was decanted as Midway? I have another decant that smells exactly the same as the bottle described as the resurrected version, and one that isn't listed as either original or res.

Off to read the reviews!