BPAL Madness!
LiberAmoris

The Penitent Magdalen

Immortelle, lily of the valley, gaiac, amber, honey, white sandalwood, almond flower, blonde musk, and hyssop.

On me, this starts with SANDALWOOD!!! HELLO SANDALWOOD! When I sniff up close, it smells a little warmer. As it dries, the sandalwood fades away (sandalwood FADING on me? what madness!), leaving a gorgeous, warm, snuggly honey/amber/musk scent that I just want to eat. The honey is not the honey that smells like froot loops on me, for which I am grateful, or the honey that smells like cat pee. The flowers are still there, adding a bit more depth to the scent without being sharply floral. I can definitely pick out the lily - I don't know what the others smell like so I can't say if I'm getting them.

It's a beautiful scent that doesn't immediately jump out to me as being a foody, a floral, or an incensey scent. It's somewhere in the middle of those.

I have had a bottle of this sitting around for a few years... somehow it always gets neglected in favor of other spicier scents. I am trying hard to rectify the neglect aka expand my horizons.

In the bottle it is very perfumey and by that I mean a fairly generic flowery thing. I can't pick out any notes or even a family but within minutes of putting it on ...oh my :thud: The Lily of Valley blooms on me and smells perfect. I don't even get other notes although I am sure they are there grounding and sweetening and doing what not to it but this reminds me of being a child, laying under a tree with dappled sunlight streaming down and examining the little white bells of LOV. This is not to say I get grass or any of that stuff.... a gentle warmth, a lovely breeze keeping me from being too hot, and one of the sweetest scents of spring/early summer. Oh look! I think I spy a rolly polly!

Fades fast on me as do most florals that are not mainly spicy resins and as usual my husband loves the very feminine scents. Coincidentally I was searching for a good LOV scent so am very happy to find this one. I do with it lasted longer or had a stronger throw but that is the story of my life.

I find this to be a woodsy floral and quite an elegant one. The sandalwood, lily of the valley, blonde musk and amber come out almost immediately and seem to make up the whole of the scent. Gaiac grounds it, almond in the back. Not sure how the immortelle, hyssop, or honey are contributing, though I'm sure they are. Lasts about two hours. This scent seems like the perfect finishing touch to dressing for dinner, or for church with luncheon to follow. It has a highbrow feel and it seems a scent for a more refined age. There I am, it's 1960 and Pat Nixon and I, in our hats and respectable cloth coats, have just repaired to the Cocoanut Grove after distributing "Pat for First Lady" campaign literature :) I think I'll get a bottle and avoid coarseness!

I've had a decant of this one for ages, but I've never gotten around to testing it. Here we go! It's a beautiful scent in the decant, light and sweet.

Wet: Light florals with musk and incense. Very well blended. I definitely get the lily as a top note, with faint almond and musk.

Dry: A soft and sophisticated scent, if a little generic. It feels lovely and old-fashioned. An old school floral.