BPAL Madness!
eviltemptressdq

Mag Mell

The Plane of Joy, eternal reward for a lifetime of valor and glory. A place of eternal youth and beauty, strength and honor, music and revelry. The warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

This smells sweet, fresh and clean, very similar (but better) than Embalming Fluid. Ginger always smells citrus-y to me, so this is a sugared lemon over a sweet floral background. Has commonalities with B&BW's lemon verbena scent. Floral, citrus, sweet. Not something I would often wear though.

When I put it on, I get an immediate blast of ginger and citrus. The grass and the sage follow a few feet behind, like sedate parents with their bright and bubbly children running ahead. It's summery and pretty and not particularly what I want to smell like. I want the amber to show up.

It doesn't oblige. This dries down into grass and verbena. It's a lot softer than Embalming Fluid on me, more snuggly, and it disappears a lot quicker. No amber. Boo.

I just received this from a lovely swapper and I have to post this review right now because this is one of the most ~me~ scents I've ever smelled. It's so lovely when you get a strong emotional (positive) response from a perfume and I nearly teared up smelling this for the first time.

It reminds me of a pagan folk festival I go to during the summer and it's so, so beautiful. I smell fresh green grass with verbena at first, and then follows the golden, comforting amber and the smallest hint of summer rain. But when I think about the scent overall, it's just a perfect, fresh northern summer captured in a bottle <3

I'll return later to review the dry down.

-edit-

ok, I need a big bottle. It still smells beautifully clean and crisp, but both the grass and the amber begin getting stronger (than the verbena, which is still there, just not as overpowering). The amber really rounds this out and makes it warmer and more comforting. Lovely dry down.

Edited by FeralFae

Ginger and verbana makes for a sharp scent, but actually not as sharp as some other heavy gingers I like such as White Rabbit, I think the grass and rain curbs that. This is a beautiful scent that I will have to revisit in Summer - it's up there with Pele, and may even surpass her.

Verbena is so iffy on me, but I love amber and grass and ginger, so I'm giving this a go.

In the imp, it's very grassy and sweet, which I love.

Wet: Ugh, verbena. With freshly cut grass. Which turns out so weird on me. Very bitter. Blah.

Dry: It loses the bitterness, but just becomes sort of generically citrusy on me. Sadly this one is not meant for my chemistry, or tastes.

I ordered this one because I love most of the notes. I'm only cautious about the verbena. I like lemon verbena -- I used to grow it. It just has a way of taking over, and it's not something I look to wear.

On the wand, Mag Mell is a sweetened, gingery lemon verbena. The ginger-lemon is high-pitched and whiny. Uh oh.

Wet on my skin, the ginger-lemon calms down some, smoothed out by amber... and also by the green grass and rain. Yay green grass and rain! I don't pick out any sage, which is a surprise -- sage usually jumps out.

By the time this has dried, the ginger-lemon has mostly integrated with the whole. It was a screechy handful of minutes, but the blend is pleasant enough now. It goes great with my summer cold, since I want to drink hot ginger-lemon tea right about now.

I can't tell if this will be a bottle, but I'll enjoy the sample.

Wet: This smells exactly like lemon drops.

Dry: I'm getting baby powder, but my skin does that to certain scents. (Seriously, even Nosferatu smelled sweet and powdery on me.) I also smell something just a tiny bit spicy. Maybe that's the ginger?

This is a nice scent, and it lasts a while on me. And by "a while" I mean it lasted through twelve hours, and then I took a shower and I could still smell it a little afterwards. I'm not sure if I'll buy a bottle, but I'll definitely use the imp.

Imp: Green Aquatic
Wet on Me: definite green aquatic
Drying Down: starting to get the white ginger with the green. and that slight baby powder scent of the amber
Dry: The wet green is tempered by the amber. It dries down to very very faint powdery pale green.

Probably will put in the trade pile.

Ginger and herbs with a touch of citrus. It smells very fresh and almost spa-like when it's freshly applied. The ginger is a little spicy which offsets the very strong sage. I don't get any rain, which is usually pretty cooling, as this scent is pretty warm. Between the ginger and the amber that comes out when it dries, this does become much cozier.

In the imp: Mainly a bright, clean aquatic. I've noticed that if a scent is described as having a "touch" of this or a "drop" of that, for some reason that's pretty much all I can smell, so it kinda makes sense that the "cleansing droplets of summer rain" are front and center here. Otherwise, some determined sniffing might reveal some very vague greenery, but they're not strong enough for me to distinguish sage vs. verbena vs. grass.

Wet: An initial, worrying blast of soapy ginger settles down into... mildly soapy ginger, sweetened and smoothed out by verbena. It's still a light and clean scent, but an artificial rather than a natural one. Still no sage or amber, which are the two I was really hoping for.

Dry: After a few hours, the soap fades entirely and it becomes a subtle, lovely herbal blend with just a faint hint of amber for resinous warmth, and a surprisingly long-lasting ginger/verbena kick. I hope some aging helps this phase develop, because it really is gorgeous. It wears very close to the body and feels like a secret.

Wet: Verbena and grass. Strong on the verbena!

Dry: Ginger, verbena, and grass, oh my! Refreshing! The throw on this is fairly light, though, so I can't see myself reaching for it. Very much a close to the skin scent.