BPAL Madness!
slave1

Manhattan

Sexuality, power, confidence. A meeting of modern, sleek elegance and rich, passionate history: sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.

Wet: oh-so-briefly like fish oil. God my chemistry is weird sometimes. Thank goodness that doesn't last!

Dry: This is super complex. For sure I get the lemon peel, and it's sweet but not too sweet, and smoky and dark. Kinda sexy. I could also see this being gender neutral. There's almost a black licorice note I'm getting. This is stunning.

In Imp: Red. Sweet and a bit serious. Citrus?

Wet: Citrus and perfume and hint of clean soap.

Dry: I actually really like this. Grapefruit? With some kind of musk? Smells like expensive perfume.

Later: Stronger perfume.

The first 15 minutes on Manhattan is the most perfect intoxicating grapefruit I have ever encountered. That alone makes it a keeper as far as I'm concerned.

After it settles it morphs quite a bit - it is so well-blended that I am having trouble picking out the notes (I'm not very good at that yet anyway). It smells expensive yet modern - like a upscale youth oriented designer perfume - very appropriate. It smells like someone with a more glamorous and interesting life than me. It smells like trying to make it in the big city when you are in your mid-20s and spring is tipping into summer and you have that electric feeling that at any moment things could start happening and you are ready.

And then after 2 hours.... it's gone. Poof. Too bad. This is stunning. I'll be keeping my imp and I'm seriously considering a big bottle on just the strength of the grapefruit top note.

Edited by joopjoop

First impression: minty lemon-lime and black leather. I can find the grapefruit, but mostly this is lemon-lime. Then I smell the amber, tea, and orchid. And then finally the teak, but it seems to hide in the leather and make it more sophisticated. Ahm, yes, please give me all the world's leather and teak together... This mix is fine.

Kush? I don't find it... Since I'm at work, maybe that's for the best.

I'm not a fan of the citrus top for this blend and, to be honest, nothing about the bright citrus makes me think of NYC. But the rest of the blend does... So I sit waiting for the citrus fruits to burn off.

Once they mostly have (though, they do linger on...), the tea amps up. Its not-quite-bitter scent always somehow smells "hollow" to me, like a space carved out of some natural material. The smell of leafy negative space. With orchid, amber, leather, and a lil teak.

Later still, the leather smells strongest.

This is one of those scents I ordered on a whim and couldn't really picture what I expected it to smell like.

In the vial: Much more bright and citrusy than I had anticipated, although it's hard to pick out individual notes besides the grapefruit. Lingering underneath, there's a hint of a smell that's difficult to describe, but reminds me--in a very good way!--of an evening in early fall when it's slightly damp out, fresh air mingled with wet dead leaves. I suppose that might be the tea and leather?

Wet, on skin: Very complex, definitely warm but not in a spicy way. A hint of clean laundry. I'm definitely seeing how this could be the scent of a posh hotel bar.

Drydown: For a moment I was worried the citrus was going to turn into lemon pledge, but thankfully it doesn't. Getting the tea now, and what I think is the amber? This is very sexy, but not in an overt way--if it were a dress, it wouldn't be something skin-tight and cleavage-y, but rather a designer dress with a classic silhouette, immaculately tailored to the wearer. It smells...well, expensive. I wish it had a bit of a stronger throw, but it's gorgeous. I can't stop smelling my wrist.

Overall: Like no perfume I've ever smelled before, but I love, LOVE it. Thinking of purchasing a bottle. 5/5

ETA: As I think about it, this has some interesting similarities to the BPAL varieties I've used as "signature scents" in the past: Croquet and Envy. Both are fresh and citrusy, but a little bit complicated.

Edited by theatrically

I've actually tried this before, but back then I didn't know there were BPAL forums (or how obsessed I would eventually get with BPAL). It smells slightly different than I remember, in this case for the better. It starts out with a lovely citrus/amber blend, which begins as an interesting blend of lemon and grapefruit but settles into a soft powdery grapefruit. The leather is present from the get-go, softer than the "black" should suggest. The teak is dark and rich but still not overpowering. This is a good deal more feminine than you might guess from the notes (although that could be my chemistry at work), soft and sweetly powdery, but decidedly warm and with a classic leather/wood/resin base. The amber in this is beautiful and very prominent, which doesn't often happen with my chemistry.

I like this considerably more now than when I first tried it, and I'll probably get a bottle eventually. It's definitely a perfumey blend, very complex and well-layered, and it smells expensive.

I love Manhattan wet -- classy and citrusy, the pink grapefruit note bright and clear instead of going all cleanser on me. The notes blend beautifully, no weirdness from the mint. And then... it's gone. My skin just eats it up. I will try slathering and hope it helps it last a bit longer.

It's a very light scent for me, which was kind of a surprise considering all of the notes. I mostly get white musk, white tea, and lemon. A bit of leather and teak come out when it dries down. It's very chic and almost feels like an olfactory power play. That's not to say that you couldn't wear it out for a grocery run, but it still has an energy to it.

Minty lemony green tea is what I get at first, and then the amber and tea add some warmth. I don't get any leather, sadly. I like this and am glad the Lab sent me a frimp of it. Not sure I'd buy a bottle, and I will share this one with a friend for Christmas.

Wood in the bottle with tea trying to get out from under it. Goes on as wood with grapefruit trying to get out from under it, and by the time it dries, the tea and grapefruit have won. Both vanish on me shortly because that's what the Lab's tea and citrus do on my skin, but nice until then. I will say there is nothing which says "Manhattan" about this scent to me — the city is electricity and asphalt and ozone and fizz and energy. I like this scent, and I love the city, but these don't match up for me.

Separately, I was worried about the amber and leather and wood, because I'd wanted this before I found out those notes were a problem for me, but fortunately this worked out. However, I have Kumiho and Baoban Sith for the tea and grapefruit notes, so I'm not sweating this one.

Wet: Strong lemon and mint.

Dry: It's like someone coated a leather jacket with a lemony-mint perfume. It's not terrible by any means, but for me, the combination isn't really doing anything for me.

If you like lemon scents it may be worth picking up, since the lemon is still pretty strong. The leather just isn't working with the lemon for me, though; it's reminding me of a lemon cleaning spray a little.

Edited by donkehpoo

I got this as a frimp awhile back, and while it sounds lovely on paper...

In the bottle: wow, that smells like an expensive department store shoved into the space of a storage unit

Wet: I'm living vicariously through this right now - like I just sprinted through the perfume department of sears 40+ years ago

Warming: Still perfume. At this point I've asked a handful of people what it smells like. All answers are in the same 'rich old lady perfume' vein.

Drydown: Yet and still really expensive ladies perfume. Like I imagine a beautiful woman in furs and feathers shopping for fine china in this.

I really wish this had smelled more like the notes listed on me. And while what I got definitely made me think 'Manhattan', it made me think the Manhattan of a bygone era: everyone dressed to the nines, and department stores in their heyday of expensive gleaming items, coveted catalogs, and the prestige of owning three sets of china.