BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Danse Macabre

An allegorical expression of the ineffable, indisputable triumph of death, generally expressed in medieval artwork as a violin or flute-wielding skeleton leading a procession of dancers to their graves. Black cypress with oakmoss, frankincense, oude, and a sliver of toasted hazelnut.

It's a wonderful mossy scent. It's like a warm field. I think the warmth is coming from those lovely resins. I get frankincense mostly with the oakmoss. This feels like an atmospheric scent that also works well as a perfume. I don't get any hazelnut, and I'm fine with that. I was hoping more for the green notes anyway, and I certainly got them. It's a lighter scent once dry. It's still mossy, but not so resinous. It's good for a subtle scent.

Edited by achildoftime

I've so badly wanted to try this for a long time!

And honestly, from the imp this scent is giving me a break; from the imp, all the notes are easy to pick apart but blended well!

Applied to the skin it's very earthy. Similar to zombi's earthyness but much, much more green. Mossy and woodsy. There's something cold and minty in here. Not sure what cypress is supposed to smell like but I'm guessing that's what that is.

With a couple of minutes it fades a touch, and the strong green and minty notes are much softer.

Lovely, atmospheric, dark but soft.

In the imp: Frankincense, cypress, and oakmoss are the notes that leap out at me.

Wet: The frankincense and cypress are the dominant notes on me, with the cypress being stronger on my skin than it was in the imp. Then, the oakmoss note emerges.

Dry: This is cypress dominant, backed by the oakmoss and resins. I can smell the sliver of hazelnut now, but it really is just a sliver.

After a while, the oakmoss overtakes the cypress.

Verdict: I like this! It's a nice forest scent, which is what I was hoping for! But I'm glad that I don't love it, as it has been out of stock for a long time and may be discontinued. I'm definitely hanging onto my imp!

Trying this one was a trip. I wasn't sure, originally, despite the reviews and my like of the listed notes, because my first thought when I sniffed the imp was that this was a grim scent. It seemed dark, aggressive, foreboding, only let up on by a tiny hint of warm hazelnut. Still, I soldiered on... after a few days to work up my nerve to testing it. :P

Worn: Thankfully, Danse Macabre definitely morphed as soon as it touched my skin. It warms up and calms, growing softer. On me, the frankincense comes to the fore in the beginning, although the black cypress and oude blend to make a scent of smoky woods, or maybe that's the 'toasting' on the still quite present hazelnut. It's actually a fairly comforting scent!

Long term dry down: My skin continues to drink in and gentle this blend. Pretty quickly, it eats anything other than frankincense and the toasted hazelnut, leaving me smelling sort of like someone sneaking roasted nuts in church. Sadly, it doesn't last very well on me at all, but while it does, it's a very snuggly, comforting scent. This is something I'd put on a half hour before I expected to be snuggled up to someone cute.