BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The Lovers

The Lovers

ORANGE BLOSSOM! Nasty, strong, air freshener/cleaning fluid orange blossom. Dries down a little more sweet and mellow and floral, less citrus-aggressive.

The Lovers - In the vial, this is soft and floral, but the instant it touches my skin it turns to soap. I haven't figured out yet which florals turn to soap on me, so I can't even guess which florals are in this blend. It's got a light to moderate level of throw, and the staying power rocks -- the scent is as strong 3 hours after I applied it as when it was fresh on my skin. However, it's not going to get worn again because as much as I like being clean, I don't like to smell like soap!

When wet, The Lovers smelled exactly like a hard-candy stick from See's, both spicy and vanilla-sweet, with that slight sourness in the background. It dried down to a herbal soapy scent, very much like the Somnium line except no lavender, and just wasn't all that interesting. Too bad.

Edited by sophia_helix

This is a light, soapy floral on me. It smells nice layered with fruity scents, but by itself, it just doesn't do anything for me. I'll be swapping my decant.

TAROT: THE LOVERS

In Bottle: Citrus and floral

On Skin: I get a lemon note from this, soft and slightly tart, maybe verbena? This scent is very golden yellow in feel. I loved it at first, about a year ago, but now my opinion has changed a little. I haven’t been liking lemon or vebena scents lately, not sure why, I’m just not in the mood for them. It also has a soapy note with a velvet feel so I’m thinking there might be white musk in this. I looked at other people reviews of this scent, and for some odd reason people say they smell cinnamon in it. So either they got a funky batch or I did, because there not even the slightest hint of cinnamon in my bottle. None at all!! I do smell a cool note, quite chilling. Menthol for sure so I’m guessing a herbal mint or eucalyptus. That note becomes quite strong, chilling my nostrils as I inhale. This is a pretty scent, very light and refreshing. Moderate throw and long wearlength.

In the imp: sparkly grape juice.

On me: very carbonated and fruity, drying down to a quite woody cinnamon. This is a wonderfully metamorphosing scent, appropriate for the name.

This is an odd scent that reminds me of an unusual fruit. Maybe pear? It's also a little bit powdery. Something about the scent reminds me of my grandfather's Model T. Maybe what he used to clean the upholstery? I'm not sure. It's very strange though -- I swear this is exactly what being in his Model T smelled like.

ETA on 25 Mar 11:

Weird. I just got a different decant of The Lovers from someone else, and this one smells exactly like dirt. ???? Are all the Lovers bottles different or something?

ETA again: Oops. Never mind. Vampire Tarot is different from Tarot. My bad.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Wet on the wand and straight on the skin: first was sharpness mixed with florals. Almost cloying for a moment there....Then the sharp became green/herbal and the florals seemed to go aquatic.

On the dry down: still green, still aquatic, slightly sweet and just a hint of spice. I keep sniffing my wrist.

Fading out: Sweeter. Still maintains a truly admirable balance. Most scents tend to roll off in one direction and this sits the edge of the blade straight to the end.

My impression of this scent as The Lovers: This has balance unlike any scent I've tried so far. Green in the form of earth (wouldn't seem right if this went dusty or muddy) and water, which is rather telling given the card. Very magnetic. It's enigmatic and arouses curiosity.

Tarot: The Lovers has two primary notes as it dries down on my skin: lemon and musk. After reading some of the other reviews and comparing it to my own experience, I guess there might have been something aquatic among the edges of the scent, as it were, but this is dominated by lemon citrus notes, which give it a very sunny character, and seem to be a common note in other "love" blends (Seduction and some of the Voodoo Blends come to mind). However, the musk is a light one and does not sit well with my skin. After about 30 minutes, this is very stale on me.

i can honestly say that i have no idea what is in this but that i like it a lot. it's sort of dry and herbal with a hint of...floral maybe? it's very light and there is a slight skin muskiness i can notice. i might want to get a bottle of this.

eta: i read a review above mine and i can now safely say that it is indeed orange blossom. creamy orange blossom. mmm.

Edited by theseagrows

In the imp: citrus and floral

On the skin: Creamy floral, orange blossom I do believe. It had an herby top edge to it and it made me think of pizza the first minute it was applied. Which was a bit weird.

On Drydown: Creamy orangey smelling. Slightly warmer and muskier than on wet.

Verdict: Despite the original weirdness, this ends up like orange sherbet on my skin. Creamy, tasty, sugary orange that isn't citrusy. It's very tasty. Perhaps too tasty...

When first applied, this is sweet and smells like candy – maybe a gummi worm. It should be a red oil as that is how it smells. So this smells like a red gummi worm.

That sweet smell remains even after it's dry, however flowers and citrus do emerge. I’m thinking orange blossom – there’s the bitterness there that I always associate with orange blossom. This is different from how I remember so I’m glad that I retried it.

It didn’t last too long on me. I can’t get over how much it smelled like gummi candi.

The Lovers is the strangest BPAL I've ever tried. I've received three imps of this in the past. The first one was a dead-on ringer for gin and tonic. The second was a strong, soapy lilac, and the third and most recent, a sweet, spicy berry with boozy overtones, the nicest of them all. Maybe it represents the fact that love is confusing? :P

This gives me the same jelly-beans impression The Magician does, but where The Magician is a bag of black jelly beans with just a few orange ones left in, this is mostly orange ones with a few black ones left in. Sweet florally orange with just a hint of anise, and a very faint white musk. I find the cinnamon so many people referred to is a barely-there whisp - it's like a little thread of hot intensity in a predominantly light and watery scent. Honestly I don't think I would have picked out that note if others hadn't listed it in their reviews. It goes a bit soapy on me after the first few minutes. It's a very light-golden scent.

This is pleasant smelling, but nothing really special to my nose. I don't really... get it, I don't think. The only allusion I can really draw to the card is the concept of a light and pretty surface with the heat of longing running beneath it...? Maybe? I do associate yellow and gold with the Lovers card, and this scent is a rather yellow-gold... but it just leaves me sort of... blank.

Edited by Vampy

I probably shouldn't look at others' reviews before writing my own, but I've got to admit that these have got me stumped! In the imp, I get a soft, warm sweetness rounded by a hint of resin. On, it's honey & resin? Soft, deep, and lovely. After a few minutes it went through an herbal-y phase, but it passed, and now it's a honey jasmine! Now, I was wearing Siren yesterday, so maybe there's just a hint there that's being amped, but overall, I love it!

The differences in everyone's reviews make me kind of apprehensive of looking for more, though!!

In Vial: smells like my grandmother

Wet: Still smells like an old lady. Powdery.

Dry: This has gotten lighter and better. Still powdery and quite floral.

This is a really old imp of the Lovers from the original Tarot series, and it is a skin scent on me. I think there very well may be orange blossom in here, and maybe lotus with its bubblegummy twang. The only GC scent it really reminds me of is no help at all -- Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo. But that aggressively optimistic teenaged girl band sweetness of ACJM is just one thread of this scent. I'm delighted to have tried it and will be passing it along so someone else gets the privilege.