BPAL Madness!
Damask Rose

Les Fleurs du Mal

The scents of the blossoms of darkness, condensed into one perfume. Features a rose base, softened with lilac and wisteria.

In the imp: Soft white florals - I would have said a very subdued tuberose or ylang ylang, with some violet for wispiness. No rose so far.

Wet: Lusher and very capital-W Womanly. I don't have a great scent profile for pure lilac or pure wisteria, so my first thought was "jasmine? maybe with some violet sprinkled overtop?"

Dry: Dries down very quickly into what I would swear is sugared violets. A very soft, sweet floral that wears close to the skin.

Wet: Pretty lilac for a second, then wisteria socks me right in the face. Woo! Not a fan of that at all. I don't think I knew what wisteria smelled like. Now I can tell you, not a fan. Blarg.

Dry: Lilac with icky wisteria undertones. There's something sharp and unpleasant about the wisteria on me, I just can't enjoy it, despite how much I adore lilac. The rose never showed up. This one is not for me.

Weird. Out of the bottle and wet, I don't smell roses, lilac or wisteria at all, just jasmine and gardenia (or maybe tuberose?). After a few minutes I imagine it starts smelling of slight rose and lilac and wisteria except it's not like any wisteria I've ever smelt (irl wisteria reminds me of purple sweet pea but lighter and less exotic) and the lilac lacks that clear piercing sweetness that the fresh flowers have; so it remains reminiscent of gardenia/ tuberose drugstore perfume to me.

I've always thought of myself as a floral girl but I'm starting to think maybe I'm not because I really don't like this floral. I don't smell much real rose or lilac or wisteria at all.

Even In the dry down all I get is incense and overripe gardenia. I only bought this because I expected it to be more rosy and if it smelled like it's constituent ingredients are supposed to I would love it but the more I smell it the more objectionable it gets :(

Edited by queenshaboo

Where is the evil? This is a lovely summery floral, something my mother would have worn, whereas from the name I was hoping for something my mother would have been slightly unnerved by. I love Baudelaire and was expecting a little more "mal" from Fleurs du Mal, something deeper and debauched.

Soft and feminine flowers. It's mostly rose and lilac. I don't get any of the wisteria at all. Just the sweetness of the rose being tempered by the soft lilac. If you like florals, this feels very classic and traditional. It has moderate throw and wear length. As far as I'm concerned, it's a fresh and functional middle-of-the-road perfume.

Sooooooo floral, like, soapy perfumey floral. I'm not getting much rose, lots of lilac and wisteria though. If you like potent, old fashioned florals, or wisteria in particular, this might be too your tastes. Too much for me though. :/

Age Unknown: Date: November 2016

In the vial: The wisteria comes out first. Then lilac and the rose on deep inhale. I knew I would love this blend based off its components. I was right.

Wet on Skin: Everything blends beautifully. The rose and wisteria feel like they are on either end and the lilac ties them together. This is so very floral yet gentle, not a single note overpowers the others. This is surprising because all three are strong. I'm really liking this.

Dry 30+ mins: I missed my timing to record this blend. My friend said it smells like "baby powder".

Worn 3+ hours: a really mellow, faded wisteria. The rose is still gentle and mellow, the lilac is slightly sweet. This is one of my favorite floral scents. It's lovely. It brings to mind ballroom dresses waltzing in a beautiful twilight garden.